What's new

128GB MicroSD card keeps unmounting/crashing

Turbocharged

I registered just to reply your post.

I have a Samsung EVO 128 Micro SD card, and experienced exactly same problem, I have found a solution that worked for me, you can give it a try:
my Windows is in Chinese, so my instruction may not be of the same words appearing on your system, you might have to guess a bit

go to "device manager", right click the drive under "disk drives" (not the disk controller where the code 43 error shows), click properties, click the second tab on top, it is "策略“ in Chinese so it maybe appearing as "strategy" or "rules" or "policy" on your system... anyway, then you wanna select the lower option "better performance". Save your changes.

I have not have random un-mount problem since I made the changes, just remember to use "safely eject" function on your task bar every time you try to remove your SD card from now on.

malberttoo

"Policies" it is... :D

policies.JPG

DLCPhoto

I have a Samsung EVO 128 Micro SD card, and experienced exactly same problem, I have found a solution that worked for me, you can give it a try:
my Windows is in Chinese, so my instruction may not be of the same words appearing on your system, you might have to guess a bit

go to "device manager", right click the drive under "disk drives" (not the disk controller where the code 43 error shows), click properties, click the second tab on top, it is "策略“ in Chinese so it maybe appearing as "strategy" or "rules" or "policy" on your system... anyway, then you wanna select the lower option "better performance". Save your changes.

I have not have random un-mount problem since I made the changes, just remember to use "safely eject" function on your task bar every time you try to remove your SD card from now on.
Thanks. I would have loved to try this out, but have returned the Lexar card. The Sandisk I replaced it with has been working fine.

Turbocharged

I don't know how much better the performance is, it is not a HDD or a SSD, so you will not want to install applications on it anyway.
All I know is this setting keeps my little MicroSD card mounted, so far.

k_ozz

Thanks, I tried this on a different brand of card, to this day formatting this one as NTFS has still worked....

species8472xgn

Hey guys, I found a solution to my problem. I have a Surface 3 4GB/64GB and suffered from the random disconnect with 128GB Micro SDs. I am referring to the disconnect (unmounts) of the file system. By the way, I am technical and worked in storage for over 15 years (now work in video projectors). :)

1. 128GB Micro SD (Only) disappears from My computer and Disk management. I tried PNY (2 of them), SanDisk and Samsung. 32GB and 64GB of any brand were NO problem.

2. The SPRING Mech is OK. When inserting and removing you feel the tension of the spring and hear the click upon insertion and removal.

3. Yellow Bang in Device Manager for SD Storage Class Controller. Remove of the Micro SD removed the SD Storage Class Controller from Device Manager until the Micro SD is inserted again.

4. When the SD disappears, removal of the SD generates OS acknowledgement via "sound" and also OS acknowledgement upon the insertion. This confirms that previously OS still recognized the device but the file system is no longer mounted resulting in the disappearance from My Computer and Disk Management. It appears that errors may be occurring that results in the driver crashing. This got me thinking and I arrived at the conclusion that the issue is file system based, not device based.

5. FAT and FAT32 are not very robust in terms of error handling (when compared to NTFS or other file systems). All 3 brands of 128GB Micro SD I purchased were formatted in exFAT. exFAT is mainly intended for flash drives (and such) but is derived from the old FAT file system. We are either looking at a driver issue or an issue with the file system.

6. My SOLUTION: Format the Micro SD with NTFS. I am at 2.5 days with ZERO unmounts of the file system..no disappearances from My Computer or Disk Management.

7. AGAIN, if you are not suffering from the same exact symptoms (detailed in 1 thru 4) and are having issues with no tension on the slot, no discovery of the Micro SD, etc...you are experiencing a different issue. Sorry. :-/

Last edited: