What's new

128GB MicroSD card keeps unmounting/crashing

kfridge76

I just purchased 6 S3's and 123GB PNY cards (formatted NTFS). I've unboxed and started setting up 3 of the Surface's. All three are having errors with the SD cards. I find it hard to believe I would have purchased 3 defective Surfaces and\or SD Cards. Here's my device manager, when things go whacky:
DeviceMGR.jpg

I've read on several forums that people are seeing Realtek drivers, but on my Surfaces, the SD drivers are Intel Generic.

Any idea what we can do about this?

cassiohui

I just purchased 6 S3's and 123GB PNY cards (formatted NTFS). I've unboxed and started setting up 3 of the Surface's. All three are having errors with the SD cards. I find it hard to believe I would have purchased 3 defective Surfaces and\or SD Cards. Here's my device manager, when things go whacky:
View attachment 6774
I've read on several forums that people are seeing Realtek drivers, but on my Surfaces, the SD drivers are Intel Generic.

Any idea what we can do about this?
I have the exact same problem but I'm using Samsung Evo Plus 128GB

BlueC7

I have a Surface 3 and Lexar 633x microSDHC 128GB:

It randomly disconnects...

• On Win 8.1 and Win 10, didn't matter
  • Formatted in both FAT and NTFS, didn't matter
  • Tried to modify to keep better contact with pins, didn't matter
  • Reformatted a few times, didn't matter
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers to be Generic USB, didn't matter
  • Changed options under policy to 'Better Performance', didn't matter
I'm wondering if anyone is having no issues with this card?

It's either the card or the device. It's hard to believe it's the card, as others have had the same issues with different cards, thus this seems rather weird.

Anyone find a solution to this?

DLCPhoto

My solution was to return the Lexar and buy a SanDisk card. No problems whatsoever with this card.

Yes the problem is complicated, occurring with a variety of brands, card, and sizes. Don't know the complete answer, but the SanDisk solved mine.

I have a Surface 3 and Lexar 633x microSDHC 128GB:

It randomly disconnects...

• On Win 8.1 and Win 10, didn't matter
  • Formatted in both FAT and NTFS, didn't matter
  • Tried to modify to keep better contact with pins, didn't matter
  • Reformatted a few times, didn't matter
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers to be Generic USB, didn't matter
  • Changed options under policy to 'Better Performance', didn't matter
I'm wondering if anyone is having no issues with this card?

It's either the card or the device. It's hard to believe it's the card, as others have had the same issues with different cards, thus this seems rather weird.

Anyone find a solution to this?[/Q

BlueC7

My solution was to return the Lexar and buy a SanDisk card. No problems whatsoever with this card.

Yes the problem is complicated, occurring with a variety of brands, card, and sizes. Don't know the complete answer, but the SanDisk solved mine.

Which SanDisk card did you get?
I am looking for a card with high speed read access.

DLCPhoto

Which SanDisk card did you get?
I am looking for a card with high speed read access.

See my posts on page 1 of this thread. I have the SanDisk 128gb Ultra Class 10 UHS-I MicroSD. Theoretically it's not as fast at the Lexar (which is why I ordered the Lexar to begin with), but I haven't noticed any practical limitation with it. I've watched HD video from my DSLR without problem, MKV encoded BluRay files, etc. Works fine, no glitches.

Don

cassiohui

fwiw, that card works completely fine when used via an external card reader...which leads me to think it's a driver problem but i can't figure anything out...

i contacted m$ support and they tried to support but then they realised i'm running insider preview then told me to go to the forums.

They did say "if" i wasn't running insider preview they would try dism and sfc commands to check the system, so i manually did that, to no effect whatsoever.

BlueC7

Well, I used the Lexar USB card reader plugged into the USB port of the Surface with the culprit Lexar card inserted.

I didn't run across issue.

Maybe the drivers on the Surface don't support such a fast read-access time on the card?????

Does Lexar have any driver solution they could offer in this case to improve compatibility?

As a check, I inserted my Phone's 16GB into the SD card slot and played some movies. Never unmounted.

At this point, would Lexar consider a refund? OR, if Lexar would do their own tests with their card and the Surface, I'd gladly take a replacement. Maybe the card is flakey..

Would be nice if a Lexar Rep. popped their head in here. Seems they've got a common issue going on with their cards and the Surface.

fwiw, that card works completely fine when used via an external card reader...which leads me to think it's a driver problem but i can't figure anything out...

i contacted m$ support and they tried to support but then they realised i'm running insider preview then told me to go to the forums.

They did say "if" i wasn't running insider preview they would try dism and sfc commands to check the system, so i manually did that, to no effect whatsoever.

cassiohui

absolutely not

edit: well i say absolutely not but in the last few days it was working annoyingly normal.

Last edited: