What's new

After TH2 Update: Battery drain /battery life in sleep mode much worse than before

Emka Zwo

Hi there!

After the TH2 update I recognized a much worse battery life espacially while sleep times on my Surface Pro 4 (i5, 8GB Ram). I read a lot about battery drain issues before but I did not have that issue. But now after the Treshold 2 update it seems to be finally there. I recognize about 5% battery drain per hour while the tablet is in hibernate mode.

So that can make you around 40% percent battery loss over night. Too much, isnt it?

My first suspects were:

Windows Hello, Windows Spotlight, Bluetooth, Onedrive, "WiFi On" during Standby

So I turned every single service off and went to standby for 15 minutes. After that I lost 1% of battery.

After that I turned everything on and wend to standby for 15 minutes again. It was a bit more but not dramatically. It was something around 1.5 - 1.8.

So, even if you turn all these services off you can count to around 4% battery drain in sleep moder per hour.
Before the TH 2 update it was around 5% in 5 hours.

Have you made different experiences?

I recognized that the battery driver has been updated from a 2006 version to a 2015 version. Since newer does not necessarily has to meen better: Can anyone post the old 2006 version driver to make a test if this guy maybe makes any difference?

Cheers
Michael

leebo

Yes, I observe roughly the same drain after updating to TH2 and the new intel graphics driver (20.19.15.4308).
Rolling back the display driver to v10.18.15.4256 alleviates the problem with drain in Connected Standby for me, it goes from 4-5% per hour with the latest driver down to 1-2% with the older driver. I use Adguard with edge and only occasionally suffer from the display driver crashing.
I personally believe that most issues seen on the SP4 is down to the poor Intel graphics drivers. Hopefully better drivers will come along soon that fixes both the crashing and battery drain problems.

Ah nice, might try and load it onto the SP4 for the fun of it!

Let me know if you succeed :) I'm trying to modify the driver to allow for installing on the SP4 ;0

I modified the following line and was able to get the installation box, but it later failed. Perhaps I should just wait :)
; %iSKLULTGT2% = iSKLD_w10, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916
%iSKLULTGT2% = iSKLD_w10, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_00151414

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Downloading the Zip version of the Beta driver will install but for me it went to a dark screen, but it did come back after a hard shutdown.

Downloading the Zip version of the Beta driver will install but for me it went to a dark screen, but it did come back after a hard shutdown.

If I don't modify the INF in the zip extract, it won't install at all. I get the "driver being installed is not valid ...". Did you modify the inf?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If I don't modify the INF in the zip extract, it won't install at all. I get the "driver being installed is not valid ...". Did you modify the inf?
I installed through Device Manager, Let me chose....have disk...pointed to inf

I installed through Device Manager, Let me chose....have disk...pointed to inf
I tried that as well, and same as before, unless I modify the inf, it tells me a new version can't be found. After modifying the inf, it goes through the installation process, but then fails.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried that as well, and same as before, unless I modify the inf, it tells me a new version can't be found. After modifying the inf, it goes through the installation process, but then fails.
Not sure why its failing on yours....

upload_2015-11-21_13-44-52.png