What's new

After TH2 Update: Battery drain /battery life in sleep mode much worse than before

mva5580

I don't know what the exact issue is, but it seems to me that the SP4 isn't always going into sleep mode when I close the type cover. I mean I can flat out tell because when I go to pick up the device after a couple hours of not touching it, it's still slightly warm on the back, as if it's never stopped running. My battery life also drops noticeably, much more than it should in just "normal" sleep.

This is a cool device and all but man....the issues are really starting to wear thin on me.

Zkyevolved

I don't know what the exact issue is, but it seems to me that the SP4 isn't always going into sleep mode when I close the type cover. I mean I can flat out tell because when I go to pick up the device after a couple hours of not touching it, it's still slightly warm on the back, as if it's never stopped running. My battery life also drops noticeably, much more than it should in just "normal" sleep.

This is a cool device and all but man....the issues are really starting to wear thin on me.

I have this same issue. I chatted with Surface and they messed up my device yesterday. Hopefully this full reset will fix some issues. I downloaded the image direct from Microsoft, and copied it to the usb drive. Let's see if this works...

If not, I have another 25 days with it. I'll return it before that time runs out for sure and stay with my trust SP2. Sad... I wanted this new Surface. By any chance is yours the i5? Mine is an i5! I see a lot of people with issues with this device.

mva5580

I have this same issue. I chatted with Surface and they messed up my device yesterday. Hopefully this full reset will fix some issues. I downloaded the image direct from Microsoft, and copied it to the usb drive. Let's see if this works...

If not, I have another 25 days with it. I'll return it before that time runs out for sure and stay with my trust SP2. Sad... I wanted this new Surface. By any chance is yours the i5? Mine is an i5! I see a lot of people with issues with this device.

It's an i5, yes. I did a reset on it yesterday and everything seems to be back to normal functioning, for now at least.

mva5580

Anything is possible, but I would lean to software problems.

It just really seems like this is a device to be "managed," and I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to put up with that. I mean I've been ONLY browsing basic websites on here for like 10 minutes, and I've lost 7% of battery life. I guess that's just not something I'm used to dealing with.

EMINENT

Anything is possible, but I would lean to software problems.

It just really seems like this is a device to be "managed," and I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to put up with that. I mean I've been ONLY browsing basic websites on here for like 10 minutes, and I've lost 7% of battery life. I guess that's just not something I'm used to dealing with.

Yeah, I don't see why we can't have a low power mode when we just want to do lightweight surfing, email. Then switch to a power profile when needed. Yes, I know we can disable CS and do this, but the average consumer shouldn't have to do that.

mva5580

Another problem; the wifi doesn't properly turn back on if you set it to turn off while going into hibernate. I always have to click the icon at the bottom right to basically turn it back on again.

OP
E

Emka Zwo

Now I reseted the old graphics driver to the .4256 version. After installing I had a new "Intel HD Graphics" entry in the system settings. There I could additionally set the driver for maximum battery live or maximum performance (I chose battery) (see picture - German language, sorry!)
Since that the stand by time has dramatically improved. I made a battery report and in about 7 hours of standby over night I only lost 1% of battery (see picture). That is the way it should be!

Unfortunately the graphics card crashes are back as well sometimes, but I can live with that for a little while...
Battery report.JPG
intel.JPG

Zkyevolved

I get now 4% drain per hour, which is pretty good compared to before. I downloaded the image from MS directly and reformatted it (took forever, well over 2.5 hours) but now at least my device doesn't get warm. It's much more stable. I've been using it for 2 days. I get the occasional video driver crash, but other than that, the 4% drain is acceptable until the next update. It should be zero - 1% though....

I see two things discussed here. One, drain during HIBERNATE (suspend) and drain during SLEEP (stand by). My rate during hibernate is 0% (Suspend to Active in battery report). I'd be concerned if I saw anything greater than 0 during hibernate. Drain rate during Sleep with latest TH2 and Intel drivers is 4% per hour. I posted the below over at answers.microsoft.com. If I roll back the video driver to the September version (and still on TH2), my rate during sleep goes down to 1%. Hopefully Intel releases some better drivers soon.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...scussion/d9dae553-97af-45af-bcb8-f94c94e92f6f