What's new

Improving SSD performance

Felyne

Hello everyone!

I've been reading in these forums since I got my SP3 (i5 and 8GB Ram) in November. :)
At the beginning my battery life was terrible, but with a few tweaks i found here, i was able to push my battery life to 7 - 7,5 h.
Yesterday all i changed was updating the firmware of my Samsung SSD. The SP3 is indeed faster, but i noticed that my battery doesn't last as long anymore (maybe 5 h or even less). BatteryBar also shows a higher power consumption than before.

Is this a normal behaviour? Does the SSD something in the background after a successful firmware update and i just have to be patient?
I already restored the system, but I'm thinking about refreshing the SP3, because the restore point didn't change anything.

max1122

Hello everyone!

I've been reading in these forums since I got my SP3 (i5 and 8GB Ram) in November. :)
At the beginning my battery life was terrible, but with a few tweaks i found here, i was able to push my battery life to 7 - 7,5 h.
Yesterday all i changed was updating the firmware of my Samsung SSD. The SP3 is indeed faster, but i noticed that my battery doesn't last as long anymore (maybe 5 h or even less). BatteryBar also shows a higher power consumption than before.

Is this a normal behaviour? Does the SSD something in the background after a successful firmware update and i just have to be patient?
I already restored the system, but I'm thinking about refreshing the SP3, because the restore point didn't change anything.

I think I have the same problem. I was still in the first weeks so battery was increasing, but after the SSD firmware update, I can't go up the 5h.

anyone else?

Nicola

I think I have the same problem. I was still in the first weeks so battery was increasing, but after the SSD firmware update, I can't go up the 5h.

anyone else?
Same here. I thought it was because I went back and forth between windows 8.1 and 10. I even reset the surface yesterday... :(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The *firmware* is still Release Candidate right? hopefully they are still working it but that feedback is important... if there's a place to give it.

ChrisPanzer

I turned it off and have noticed nothing wrong. Sky hasn't fallen yet. My only encounter with bitlocker was quite an aggravating one as my surface wouldn't boot, and I had to go through a riggor-ma-roll (the word my grandma used to use) to get it to boot back to normal, thanks to BitLocker! (which included entering a code like this DASD23424ASDASO#R$ITRRE#(T$ITJ#$TFKF$R# instead of a convenient, 5 or 6 digit code) I dont have ultra-sensitive data on my SP3, and anyway a hacker would have far better luck hacking my internet/online accounts rather than physically stealing my Sp3. Haven't needed BitLocker since my QBASIC days and shan't need it now.

Can someone give me a FOR INSTANCE where bitlocker would 'save the perverbial day"? That'd be great, thanks.

Felyne

Same here. I thought it was because I went back and forth between windows 8.1 and 10. I even reset the surface yesterday... :(

My first guess was that something went wrong when flashing the firmware.
Anyone happens to have the old firmware available?

The *firmware* is still Release Candidate right? hopefully they are still working it but that feedback is important... if there's a place to give it.

True. I didn't know it was still just a release candidate. I really hope Samsung will release a final version soon.

Nicola

My first guess was that something went wrong when flashing the firmware.
Anyone happens to have the old firmware available?

True. I didn't know it was still just a release candidate. I really hope Samsung will release a final version soon.
The original firmware was never publicly released. So our only hope is a newer version to overwrite the one we installed.

zhenya

I flashed the firmware too and it might correspond to a dip in my battery life. Hard to say though as I find the battery life of this device so variable from day to day.