What's new

Improving SSD performance

ChrisPanzer

Oh, God!
Do you carry your BL key with you, on a post it note on the SP3???
Ummmm, I have my BL key memorized actually.

I actually noticed a significant speed increase since disabling bit locker so I think I'll keep it off for now. Thanks much!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The tool to improve performance of the Samsung SSD essentially rewrites the data on the SSD. Decrypting the SSD will do exactly the same thing because every block of data has to be read, decrypted and rewritten. That's likely the only performance difference you see as the hardware encryption will keep pace with the drive speed.

I suppose the entire Whole Disk encryption industry should run for the hills since they do nothing useful in your mind. no wait, perhaps they encrypted your mind ... wow that was useful. :)

Nicola

The tool to improve performance of the Samsung SSD essentially rewrites the data on the SSD. Decrypting the SSD will do exactly the same thing because every block of data has to be read, decrypted and rewritten. That's likely the only performance difference you see as the hardware encryption will keep pace with the drive speed.

I suppose the entire Whole Disk encryption industry should run for the hills since they do nothing useful in your mind. no wait, perhaps they encrypted your mind ... wow that was useful. :)
That will explain the performance gain when decrypting the disk.
But in theory, while the TPM can keep up with the SSD speed, it will add some latency. Of course the whole think cannot be noticed in any way in real life (I imagine it should be <1ms). It is just to be more annoying than I usually am. :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That will explain the performance gain when decrypting the disk.
But in theory, while the TPM can keep up with the SSD speed, it will add some latency. Of course the whole think cannot be noticed in any way in real life (I imagine it should be <1ms). It is just to be more annoying than I usually am. :D
The TPM in Ghostbuster terminology is the Key Master. The encryption decryption hardware is included on the disk. In the scenario where you don't have a SED (self encrypting disk) that job may fall to the CPU which you would notice.

Nicola

The TPM in Ghostbuster terminology is the Key Master. The encryption decryption hardware is included on the disk. In the scenario where you don't have a SED (self encrypting disk) that job may fall to the CPU which you would notice.
Sorry.. I actually believed the TPM chip (or some other component on the motherboard) would process the encryption/decryption, but the only options are the one you mention (CPU or HDD).
So, IF any latency is added, it would be even smaller than what I imagined

P.S.: I believe this has gone on for too long. Maybe we should open a specific thread

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other option might be the Disk Controller which in a larger system might be a PCIe card but to my knowledge there aren't any chipsets with encrypting SATA controllers and there are lots of SEDs on the market but I cant think of any Disk Array Controllers that do encryption (there probably are some) but this too would be a bottle neck and likely why SEDs came into being as the better solution distributing the work as much as possible and as close to the data as possible. The Key however is the missing piece that makes scrambled eggs out of intelligible data/(whole golden eggs) or vice versa which is safely locked in the TPM.
http://www.cryptomathic.com/news-events/blog/the-trusted-platform-module-explained

Last edited:

fletch33

so i got this update on the SP3 today. is this the "official" update being described here? the "more info" button leads to "info coming soon" page so no more details to be found. it also installed quick and although it mentioned a possible restart needed it didnt require it after install. here is a screen shot

2mzy1i8.jpg
2mzy1i8.jpg

olimjj

I received the same optional update. I guess we will have to wait until they provide a working and useful detailed information link. However I installed it anyway.

fletch33

I received the same optional update. I guess we will have to wait until they provide a working and useful detailed information link. However I installed it anyway.

here is what i have been able to find on this update name from previously named update and no info available on that update either:

From WD tech support site:

HERE is another post quoting WD that gives a lot more info

olimjj

I am still not sure of exactly what it does. Will be attentive to any negative effects if any. So far have not noticed any. Consensus is to keep it. We will see.

EDIT:
Checked for the WD folder in Program Files. NOT PRESENT
It seems that it did not install even after I manually restarted.

Last edited:

Nicola

so i got this update on the SP3 today. is this the "official" update being described here? the "more info" button leads to "info coming soon" page so no more details to be found. it also installed quick and although it mentioned a possible restart needed it didnt require it after install. here is a screen shot

2mzy1i8.jpg
2mzy1i8.jpg
I believe you must have a Western Digital external disk (as I do). I don't think this update is related to the SSD within the SP3