What's new

Surface Pro Hate

Kiwibru

There are in addition a lot of users who don't have the history with the technology and the internal time line that is based upon experience with the GUI. Let's face it, unless you have worked with several generations of Win O.S. Mac OS and all of the interim attempts at building a touch based O.S. be it tablet or phone, you are going to have a specific set of prejudices based upon that experience. How many of those peps complaining had any experience with Win 3.0 or the Newton O.S. ? See where I am going here?
Unless you had been exposed to early attempts and have the ability to resolve the reality of a changing paradigm you are just going to react out of fear of the unknown.
You just have to let go those current tools and hardware constructs. I say bring it on, it's all part of the slow evolution of the GUI with hardware dragging it along kicking and screaming, at times into, the future and some people are just not able to understand that constant change.

Russ

. . . react out of fear of the unknown.

Kiwibru --

There's a lot of that going around, especially among people who ought to be too young to react that way. Having been through every iteration of DOS and Windows, I think it's exciting.

Regards,
Russ

NGC

People need to stop comparing the Surface Pro to an Ipad. The Ipad is a toy with Apple restricted Apps that limit all Users. The Ipad is great for kids but the future is definitely with the Pro. Even Apple is scratching their heads with what to do with their outdated and limited laptops.
Microsoft has a winning combination with a very stable Windows 8 and a far superior tablet in the PRO. No I don't work for Microsoft.

Jglnaz372

When I bought my IPad it was replacing a 10 year old PowerBook that finally died. Most of my work dealt with photos and creating books for some education classes. Once in awhile I had to type a letter or do a presentation using iWork. My school district had used macs and I was use to them. When I went back to school for my job, I was given a netbook with windows XP. Having Office was mandatory for many of my classes and the use of Google apps online. I even played around with Android tablets and was not too . displeased at all. My latest purchase was the Surface RT and it is a fine tablet in my opinion.
I agree with others and I really do not compare all my "toys". I like trying the different designs and OS's and I think each one has good and bad points. As more apps and updates come to the RT, the more I enjoy using it. For what I need, it works great. As I posted once before, as long as it makes you happy, do not worry about bad reviews or trolls bad mouthing it. Same with the Pro. Buy what you like and enjoy.

Ashles

I'm just wondering why all the tech journalists are not similarly obsessing over the sales of the new iPad. It didn't sell out? No queues? If it was MS it would be declared a flop product by now...

vook

I am a student and this in combo with OneNote is all students ever wanted. Calculate in college loans and this thing will be all over campuses soon enough

rambler358

The Ipad is a toy with Apple restricted Apps that limit all Users.
And you're quite wrong in this regard. Do you think corporations and the government are adopting iPads because they're toys?

But the Surface Pro finally brings desktop-like productivity to a tablet. Competition in this segment is definately needed, and I'm looking forward to see what comes out of it.

dlacaba

And you're quite wrong in this regard. Do you think corporations and the government are adopting iPads because they're toys?

Yes they are. They're company bought/expensed Toys. Anyone I meet who brings an iPad to a meeting uses it for reading emails at most, but mostly for playing Angry Birds. I've seen a few guys in one meeting use their iPad to write notes, the next meeting I see them they bring their iPad along with a paper/pen. The iPad is their toy at work that they pretend to do work on so it gets expensed.

rambler358

Yes they are. They're company bought/expensed Toys. Anyone I meet who brings an iPad to a meeting uses it for reading emails at most, but mostly for playing Angry Birds. I've seen a few guys in one meeting use their iPad to write notes, the next meeting I see them they bring their iPad along with a paper/pen. The iPad is their toy at work that they pretend to do work on so it gets expensed.
Obviously there's a lot of work getting done at your place of employment. NOT

After playing around with it at the MS Store, I can see why this won't become a popular product. It's not user friendly and will have a fair bit of a learning curve. In comparison, iPad is something just about anyone can learn how to use in a matter of minutes.
I took my 13, 7, and 4 year old daughters in the store with me. Without ever seeing a Windows 8 machine in their life, they each sat in front of a Surface RT and began to explore and play without any instruction. They were much more familiar with ipods and androids than anything Microsoft. I rest my case.

rambler358

I took my 13, 7, and 4 year old daughters in the store with me. Without ever seeing a Windows 8 machine in their life, they each sat in front of a Surface RT and began to explore and play without any instruction. They were much more familiar with ipods and androids than anything Microsoft. I rest my case.
So you're saying the Surface RT is meant more for kids and teens?