What's new

Surface Pro Hate

Nemesis296

Yes they are. They're company bought/expensed Toys. Anyone I meet who brings an iPad to a meeting uses it for reading emails at most, but mostly for playing Angry Birds. I've seen a few guys in one meeting use their iPad to write notes, the next meeting I see them they bring their iPad along with a paper/pen. The iPad is their toy at work that they pretend to do work on so it gets expensed.

Actually, I can back this up. I used to bring my iPad into meetings for using Evernote and taking notes, but the limitations compared to my PC at my desk were just too much to have it be a reliable meeting tool. I always brought pen/paper with me in case I needed it. With the Surface, I felt that was completely unecessary. A PC designed to be a PC, so I could access Word, Excel, etc. if needed, and nothing makeshift about it either. It was exactly as I was familiar with. Something that an iPad simply couldn't allow me to do. One way I'd look at it is that the apps for the iPad/iPhone are "workarounds" for the full-blown PC experience. With Surface Pro, I don't need to make the compromise any more.

Edit: The iPad I have is my own personal one that I would try to use from a personal productivity standpoint. It was never expensed for work.

Quite simply, reviewers are bought into Apple and iPAD. Some are religious followers just as some people will lean toward Microsoft. Who knows, maybe some of the reviewers own Apple stock and don't want to see them hurt by a superb product. Whatever the reason, it is obvious when a reviewer is irrationally negative. I can agree with negative views of the type cover and balanced opinions of other elements. But, it is unfair when someone criticizes the available space when it is the same as the IPAD or when people complain the RT can't install Win7 apps when the iPAD can't at all. I will give some reviewers a break and say this is an innovative product that some reviewers just don't understand. But for the most part, I can't help but think there is some coordinated anti-Microsoft propaganda at work. When a negative review crops up, look at how quickly it is picked up by other sites and who picks it up. When a positive review pops up, look how slow it is to catch on and who ignores it.

elvisff

It is a result of lack of maturity and insecurity around their own purchases. It is no different than the PS3 / XBox360 wars, or cellphone wars. The reality is that the Surface Pro is not a revolutionary new product, it is an improvement on the traditional slate pc. The touch and type covers however are revolutionary, and in reality the game changer with the whole surface line.

The reality is that the arguments will be tailored to the critique. People want to complain that the Pro is incapable of running high end PC games, or has a 4-6 hour battery life, yet don't make the same comparison to high end ultrabooks, which are the true competitor to the Pro.

rambler358

re
I used to bring my iPad into meetings for using Evernote and taking notes, but the limitations compared to my PC at my desk were just too much to have it be a reliable meeting tool.
Exactly what limitations were you encountering? My iPad is also my own personal device and not expensed, though I bring it into work as well.
I always brought pen/paper with me in case I needed it. With the Surface, I felt that was completely unecessary. A PC designed to be a PC, so I could access Word, Excel, etc. if needed, and nothing makeshift about it either. It was exactly as I was familiar with. Something that an iPad simply couldn't allow me to do. One way I'd look at it is that the apps for the iPad/iPhone are "workarounds" for the full-blown PC experience. With Surface Pro, I don't need to make the compromise any more.
Interesting with CloudOn (for Word, Excel and Powerpoint) and OneNote for my iPad - I have no need for a pen and paper at meetings. I get back to my desk, open the cloud files I just previously worked on with my iPad, and I'm ready to go.

For general office productivity my iPad is suiting me very well, and I currently see no need to replace it at this point. I do plan on getting a Windows 8 tablet eventually, and maybe once Win8 tablets start incorporating the upcoming Haswell chipset, then I could replace my iPad. The only reason I don't get a Win8 tablet right now is because of the lack of gaming capability. I want a portable PC-like device to be able to at least run some of my Steam games at a playable frame rate. Right now, Intel's HD 4000 graphics chip can't cut it. And yes, in addition to work, I also play games, and use social media for both business and personal needs. And hopefully Microsoft's App Store will soon get those 'Modern UI' apps I've come to depend on with my iPad. And maybe MS will even update Office some day to utilize the new Win8 interface. If this is where MS wants us to go, then they really need to take the lead and start updating PC core apps to the Modern UI, like Office. MS is going to have to go much further than simply making Office a little more touch friendly.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The only reason I don't get a Win8 tablet right now is because of the lack of gaming capability. I want a portable PC-like device to be able to at least run some of my Steam games at a playable frame rate. Right now, Intel's HD 4000 graphics chip can't cut it.

The Surface tablets are capable gamers and the Pro can run Steam games at playable frame rates. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...2-games-pro-please-post-experiences-here.html Is it a gaming rig? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable. Different devices for different purposes but both Surfaces can handle casual gaming as well as other tablets.

And hopefully Microsoft's App Store will soon get those 'Modern UI' apps I've come to depend on with my iPad.

What apps are you looking for? There might be equivalents people can recommend.

And maybe MS will even update Office some day to utilize the new Win8 interface. If this is where MS wants us to go, then they really need to take the lead and start updating PC core apps to the Modern UI, like Office. MS is going to have to go much further than simply making Office a little more touch friendly.

Have you used Office on a touch device? Office may not have been built from the ground up for touch but that certainly isn't necessary. I can't see a point in making Office productivity suites exclusively for touch. Not everything has to be pushed into touch and I don't think anybody is suggesting that. touch has its place in mobile use and for general interaction but is not the be all end all.

Mouse/keyboard is going to be superior for Office purposes for the foreseeable future, just as using a stylus to write is superior to writing with your finger. I for one would prefer if Office stayed usable primarily in this manner over touch. Personally I think it will take the advancement of speech software supplemented by touch to displace the mouse/keyboard productivity model. Even then it is not clear that people would prefer talking to typing.

There is no doubt that if you wait for the next generation of Windows 8 devices they will be more capable at these tasks but so will the generation after that and so on. Maybe by the time you are ready to move on from your current devices the next generation will be out. If not, what is already out will do what you are looking for too.

JP

rambler358

The Surface tablets are capable gamers and the Pro can run Steam games at playable frame rates. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...2-games-pro-please-post-experiences-here.html Is it a gaming rig? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable. Different devices for different purposes but both Surfaces can handle casual gaming as well as other tablets.
Thanks for that thread link, I'll check it out. But I'm currently playing Skyrim and Battlefield 3.

What apps are you looking for? There might be equivalents people can recommend.
Social media apps with notification capability. Although BlueStacks has been released for Windows 8 now, which will supposedly allow the Pro to run virtually any Android app. That might be a good stop-gap until Modern UI apps are available.

Have you used Office on a touch device? Office may not have been built from the ground up for touch but that certainly isn't necessary. I can't see a point in making Office productivity suites exclusively for touch. Not everything has to be pushed into touch and I don't think anybody is suggesting that.
I do believe full touch is where Microsoft is heading. Office as Modern UI apps with keyboard and mouse support, is where I think Office needs to go. I do believe Microsoft would like to rid itself of the desktop environment eventually.

Rushino

Seriously. I think poeple must learn to stop comparing products. Its the same as comparing programming languages or cellphones. Poeple always start wars about anything. You guys can hate or love Apple or MS or whatever for whatever reasons but for the sake of god just stop compare products. I mean first they are not intended for the same kind of individuals. Second that really depend on what you doing with the device seriously - use the best tool for the job. Third you are wasting serious time by doing this. Time that you could spend on the Surface Pro for example. :D

But seriously, comparing products go nowhere. If you love a specific product for X reasons and because it suit you best then its alright! I mean every products have pros and cons. From my analysis point of view, it look like poeple love to bash when they can and what they want.

I bought the Surface PRO because it was appealing more than others device and because i am 100% sure it will get my job done. I really have no time to compare this to an ipad. Anyway from the start i never really liked Apple products because they really stubborn in the way they make stuff and i tend to dislike this kind of attitude. Microsoft in the past did some errors offcourse but at least they trying to improve themself. They make software more open than before (not saying 100% open but they are somehow more open. Example would be free Express dev tools). However this is still a business so we can't blame them for this. They also try to catch up with the future which is not a bad thing. They trying to be innovative. Sure the Surface PRO is not a new invention but an improved design but still this can be called innovation at some point.

Anyway that just my opinion but i think its sad to see that kind of comparaison about products. This is so irrevelent.

And i know my grammar suck... its because english isn't my primary language so bare with me.

Nemesis296

Exactly what limitations were you encountering? My iPad is also my own personal device and not expensed, though I bring it into work as well.
Mostly it was limitations on the transfer between PC and iPad. While I could take notes with Evernote, I never felt like it was the full experience. Features I like in the full PC app were missing in the iOS version. Sure, it was workable but as I said, compromise. Also, I didn't have Office, so I couldn't use Outlook to get to my email, and I always had to rely on iOS updates to keep my apps in check. It just always felt like I was at the mercy of the iPad to determine what I could and couldn't do. I couldn't put word, excel, pdf documents on my device (or create them for that matter). It was always a constant struggle to use the device for a singular purpose. Surface Pro will change the game in this respect. Limitless power with apps to install, and endless customization for whatever the task at hand requires. Plus, since I already own the software I can just install it instead of having to search for a workaround that might get me by on my iPad.

rambler358

Mostly it was limitations on the transfer between PC and iPad.
With cloud-based apps, there's really no limitation.

Also, I didn't have Office, so I couldn't use Outlook to get to my email, and I always had to rely on iOS updates to keep my apps in check.
Outlook isn't a requirement to get to your email, as iOS mail supports Exchange. And you have to have some way to keep apps updated, even in Windows.

It just always felt like I was at the mercy of the iPad to determine what I could and couldn't do. I couldn't put word, excel, pdf documents on my device (or create them for that matter).
Sounds like you just didn't know what iPad apps were available that would suit your needs. Because there are apps that allow you to create Office and PDF documents, and save them to various cloud services, including Skydrive.

LJM

I hate my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8 more than I ever thought possible. The only thing that stops me throwing it out the window is how much the bloody thing cost. Every single function works differently to every other windows OS and there are NO instructions. e.g. I have just spent an hour looking for instructions on how to take a friggin screenshot. talks about Home button and volume together. Not a single diagram or photo anywhere showing what the bloody home button is. if it's the windows symbol on the device then this friggin thing doesn't work - all that happens is I turn volume up and down. how friggin hard is it to have a simple print screen or screen capture button on the accompanying keyboard, for? have to give up now. another hour wasted trying to do something that is so straight forward on every other computer I've used. DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum @LJM

I on staff at several other forums, primarily Android. All tablets and phones have that same issue on screen shots. They all do it differently. I have a phone that only requires a swipe of the hand to take a screen shot. This will be an issue on any tablet, not just Surface.

Having used all those computers to do a screen shot, how did you do it?

Have you ever heard of the snipping tool?