What's new

Surface RT for work use

mrasmussen

I have it next to me at work but I don't use it for work. I do dev work so unless VS or VMWare can run on the RT, it's pretty much a fun machine. I do see a lot of potential with SkyDrive and Office for folks who live in office to take this thing and go nuts.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use it for work every day. I use it as a Lync Client 5-10 times a day, I use it for Office Documents and I use it as an RDP Client to my Windows 8 Desktop as a Touch Interface.

Rallicat

Primarily I use mine for a bit of note taking when in meetings - Onenote is perfect for this in either the desktop or Metro form. I Sync these using Skydrive to the Onenote software installed on my main desktop machine at work.

A bit of Word use occasionally, and I've delivered a presentation using PowerPoint (plugged into a projector with the VGA adapter!)

OP
G

Golou

I have used mine already with a projector, I will say very nice. I just hope a cisco app comes out soon for VPN. Then it will replace my iPad.

I use Word, Excel and Skydrive on a daily basis. The Surface hasn't replaced my desktop work system, but I'm going to use it for travel instaed of a laptop from now on.

compnovo

I use mine for Powerpoint presentations, Word and Excel documents, and the Outlook Web app to access my work email. When I first saw that MS was going to bundle a light version of Office with Win8 RT I knew it would be able to replace my work portable (just not my desktop).

Lest I give the wrong impression, I use my Surface mostly for play. :)

OP
G

Golou

Oh it's not a desktop replacement by any means. I didn't purchase it for that use. But I do use it on the go or when I go to our different sites.

Bruce

I manage a bunch of contractors on Microsoft's various Redmond campuses, and I take my Surface with me when I'm meeting with clients and contractors. OneNote is great. I use Lync, SharePoint, shared drives via VPN, open and edit Word and Excel files.

compnovo

Oh it's not a desktop replacement by any means. I didn't purchase it for that use. But I do use it on the go or when I go to our different sites.
I consider it the best of all worlds: a desktop for heavy content creation and game play, and a hybrid device that can be either a laptop or a tablet (for less heavy work and play). This thing fits my needs perfectly.

jnoel311

Bruce -
Do you do anything with PDF docs downloaded and uploaded to SharePoint? Im having some trouble with this on my Surface and if I can't get it fixed I may have to get rid of it - which I don't want to do. I've tried Answer Desk and Micrsoft Chat - at o ne point one of them told me I just can't do what I want but I'm getting a different response from others. Any thoughts?

Search tags for this page
gmail call chat surface rt
how to use ms surface rt with projector to present excel files
icloud on sueface rt
rt workplace join

surface rt workplace join

surface workplace join

using surface rt at work

workplace join for rt
workplace join surface rt
workspace join surface rt

Members online