What's new

The Official "I've Got My Surface" Thread!

Faustous

On my phone, so I am not going to type a lot. But, I found this article: http://www.tipsandtutorials.net/read-emails-with-pop3-mail-on-windows-8.html

Pop3 was a comm protocol that allow websites to be able to query and work with email in large batches, and the same way that Web content is delivered.

Imap allows for single/per message communication. much more suited for thin client structures.

This isn't a failing (in my mind) of Microsoft, and but of Comcast. I have Comcast as well and that is one reason why I use Gmail.

TeknoBlast

This is why I still use a MSN account after all these years. Never never had an issue with my MSN account and it works great with all my MS products.

Michfan

Thanks, Faustos! Problem with that approach is that my XBox Live/MS account is no longer an active e-mail and I can't change my account name.

POP is okay on all Windows Phone 7, Android and iOS devices my family owns. Why did MS decide to "take a stand" with Surface/WinRT and make it the only device that isn't compatible? MS also told me if I buy a Pro tablet it won't be a problem. So this is a very unique issue that has been created by MS that makes a very big problem for Comcast customers. I don't see how Comcast has any blame.

Last edited:

bradhaak

It showed up at about 10 AM. I spent a couple of hours playing with it and installing Win 8 Pro on my Desktop. Then I went to the MS store, and saw all the people standing in line to buy one. Walked past the line and picked up a Type Cover.

So far, this is exactly what I've been looking for in a tablet.

Michfan

I figured out how to get Hydro Thunder to work smoothly, need to use the charms menu and change graphics to Low quality and medium resolution. Can also enable tilt control in this menu. Another problem I found is that when I try to quick reply in this forum, the keyboard briefly appears then disappears. Can only get it to work if I use Advanced, click in Title first, and then type in the text section.

BillJ

I received my device yesterday afternoon, and I have had a few hours to evaluate it. Overall, the Surface is one of the best-built gadgets I own, and the speed of the OS and touch controls rivals that of any other manufacturer. What really stands out in my mind, is the integration of a very useful keyboard with state of the art word processing and editing software (Office). I am typing on the "type cover" right now, and I don't feel like this is a step down from any other laptop keyboard I have used lately (including Apple products). When I finish a document in Word, I get to save it to a file using formats I am very familiar with, and easy to manage. Printing is super easy to my HP wireless printer- I did not have to install any printer driver, and to my knowledge the HP is not "RT certified"; so I am not entirely sure why it works so easily...
OK- I knew coming in that I would not be able to use any of my "legacy" programs on this machine. The only old program I care about anyway is Photoshop CS5, and for some reason I did not even think that I would even want to try to do creative photoediting on an 11 in screen. If I want to play Angry Birds, I just use my wife's iPad. I am very impressed with what Surface and RT can do, even with its limitations. I know of no other tablet or ultrabook that can combine such functionality, efficiency, and convenience in a single package. The Pro will bring the ability to run standard Windows software (and better Flash integration), with a slightly higher price and heavier weight. 95% of what I need a computer to do is accomplished with this machine- that's great for now.

vectorman

I arrived home yesterday at 4:50 to find a FedEx notice on the door. The carrier had arrived at 1:30, but since MS required a signature, the package was not left. Since it was Friday, there would be no further delivery attempt until Monday, but I could pick it up at the FedEx facility that day, if I arrived before closing time at 6:30.

I couldn't bear to wait until Monday; I wanted it NOW! The problem was, it was now 5:00, and the FedEx facility is 65 miles from my town. Allowing for slower travel through 4 intervening towns, and one stretch of heavy road construction, this trip usually takes about an hour and a half---on the main highway. I jumped back into the car, took a remote, normally unpatrolled back road, and, traveling at speeds of 80 to 95 mph, was able to reach FedEx at 6:15! I was able to pick up the package and return home at the more sane pace of the main road.

Now, instead of waiting impatiently through the weekend, I'll be setting up my new Surface, and putting it through its paces.

Last edited:

Michfan

Way to go Vector! The more time I spend with this thing, the more it grows on me. It's deeper than an iPad, so the deeper into the learning curve the better it gets. Now if only I get get this Comcast thing worked out...