What's new

Wireless Keyboard Adapter

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard Adapter being used with my Surface Pro 3 i7 512.
Look how nicely the tubular adapter rolls under, giving the proper angle for the keyboard, as if it was attached to my Surface.

wka_1.JPG

wka_5.JPG

wka_6.JPG

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The keyboard is just as stable, or even more so, than the keyboard fold attached to the Surface. The tube and fold work together in an amazing bit of accidental engineering to keep it solid.

B

B'midbar

The keyboard is just as stable, or even more so, than the keyboard fold attached to the Surface. The tube and fold work together in an amazing bit of accidental engineering to keep it solid.

What variability in battery time on the SP3 do you have with the adapter, if any? That is, attached the keyboard is drawing power on the SP3. Wireless it's running bluetooth and that's a draw on the SP3 as well, but I would think less, thus more battery time on the SP3, correct?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
When using the adapter, the SP3 does not seem to have much draw at all.

Regarding the adapter battery itself:
I get about 3 hours of typing with my keyboard adapter per charge. The backlighting on the Surface Type Cover (SP3-style) keyboard takes a draw. With previous Type Covers, I got about 6 hours.

I found that I can dim the backlighting, though, and get closer to 5 or 6 hours with the Surface Type Cover. Of course, I can use a micro USB charger cord, and not rely on batteries at all.

Check out this use with my iPhone!

WIN_20141125_085705.JPG

WIN_20141125_085751.JPG

View attachment 4567

wireless_keyboard_adapter_iPhone.PNG

iPhone_Bluetooth.PNG

B

B'midbar

When using the adapter, the SP3 does not seem to have much draw at all.

Regarding the adapter battery itself:
I get about 3 hours of typing with my keyboard adapter per charge. The backlighting on the Surface Type Cover (SP3-style) keyboard takes a draw. With previous Type Covers, I got about 6 hours.

I found that I can dim the backlighting, though, and get closer to 5 or 6 hours with the Surface Type Cover. Of course, I can use a micro USB charger cord, and not rely on batteries at all.

Check out this use with my iPhone!

View attachment 4565

View attachment 4566

View attachment 4567

View attachment 4568

Another question, what do you use, how do you hang your Surface on the seatback hook in front of you when you're on a plane?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I usually don't hang anything on the seatback hook, but when I do find a place to put it, I use the partially opened kickstand on my Urban Armor Gear Rogue cover to insert into the magazine pouch.

The Wireless Keyboard Adapter is more useful elsewhere than in a plane.

iMarc

I have the adapter that I bought for my SPro 1 last year and I've bought a SP3 last week. i5 , 256Go. I'm trying to have it detected (pair it) to the sp3 and it's is'nt working. After a few minutes of "working"" i get a error message that it cannot be detected (please be sure that your device is still detectable...).

I've no problem to detect pair other bluetooth devices with my new surface pro.

Anyone has an Idea ?

B

B'midbar

I have the adapter that I bought for my SPro 1 last year and I've bought a SP3 last week. i5 , 256Go. I'm trying to have it detected (pair it) to the sp3 and it's is'nt working. After a few minutes of "working"" i get a error message that it cannot be detected (please be sure that your device is still detectable...).

I've no problem to detect pair other bluetooth devices with my new surface pro.

Anyone has an Idea ?

Stupid question time, but you've put the wireless adapter into pairing mode and then had the SP3 look for it, THEN it times out, right?

iMarc

of course, but you're right to ask. :) The white led is flashing rapidly, and we can see on the screen the graphics animation that the pairing process is going on, but it take forever compared to the sp1, finishing with the error message mentionned before. The adapter just finished to charge overnight..

B

B'midbar

of course, but you're right to ask. :) The white led is flashing rapidly, and we can see on the screen the graphics animation that the pairing process is going on, but it take forever compared to the sp1, finishing with the error message mentionned before. The adapter just finished to charge overnight..

Hmmm... any other active bluetooth devices in the vicinity when you're doing this?