What's new

battery after creators update

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My battery life is improved after the update.
Main culprits after updates: OneDrive or iCloud or other cloud services. After they update, battery life is fine.

kristalsoldier

Well, my problem is not the battery life which seems to be as before, but my SP4 is heating up more than usual. The fans seem to be on all the time or most of the time. Any ideas?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. In my case the offender was Chrome which was running in the background!!!!
Funny, background seems to have a different meaning to some... to me it means it uses resources in an unobtrusive way, at low priority, unnoticeable. To some background seems to mean just hidden from your view but it will go balls to the wall crazy consuming everything available even blocking the user from doing tasks and the postman from his appointed rounds. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To some background seems to mean just hidden from your view but it will go balls to the wall crazy consuming everything available even blocking the user from doing tasks and the postman from his appointed rounds. :)

So you mean windows update? :) "Fancy doing some web browsing? Tough! Your bandwidth is mine for the next hour and there is no pause button!"

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you mean windows update? :) "Fancy doing some web browsing? Tough! Your bandwidth is mine for the next hour and there is no pause button!"
One of the many offenders.
AFAIK Windows itself doesn't have great support for truly unobtrusive Background tasks even though it does have a meager selection of priorities, once it becomes active... it seems to OWN the device until it's finished with it. BITS was supposed to be a background transfer mechanism but it too is rather onerous. I suspect this is inconvenient to "test" so it keeps getting bumped up. ;)

In truth Windows Update should have at least two modes. if the a User initiates it then it should be high priority or user selectable High, Low, or Background. if it's self initiated/automatic then it should be Background or possibly user selectable raised to high, low, or optionally paused.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the many offenders.
AFAIK Windows itself doesn't have great support for truly unobtrusive Background tasks even though it does have a meager selection of priorities, once it becomes active... it seems to OWN the device until it's finished with it. BITS was supposed to be a background transfer mechanism but it too is rather onerous. I suspect this is inconvenient to "test" so it keeps getting bumped up. ;)

In truth Windows Update should have at least two modes. if the a User initiates it then it should be high priority or user selectable High, Low, or Background. if it's self initiated/automatic then it should be Background or possibly user selectable raised to high, low, or optionally paused.

I've never understood why a user has the ability to stop updates while on battery, but not when plugged in. But yes, users selecting bandwidth etc seems rather obvious, easy, and well, common sense. I can understand (to a degree) microsofts decision to force updates, but it doesn't have to make the machine semi-useless in the process.

I'm just glad they finally put two and two together and added the option in the shut down menu to shutdown/restart with or without updating. Got pretty tedious having windows download a huge update, but me having to force a restart (requiring said update to be downloaded again) because I didn't have the time to let it do an update which would result to me getting to university with a depleted battery.

Grumpy2

What I love is, you're on a short layover at the airport, only have a few minutes to get a sip of juice for the battery and upload or download a file and Hello... it's time to run Windows Update... Ghaa!
Quick, kill it in Taskman...
I've never understood why a user has the ability to stop updates while on battery, but not when plugged in. But yes, users selecting bandwidth etc seems rather obvious, easy, and well, common sense. I can understand (to a degree) microsofts decision to force updates, but it doesn't have to make the machine semi-useless in the process.

I'm just glad they finally put two and two together and added the option in the shut down menu to shutdown/restart with or without updating. Got pretty tedious having windows download a huge update, but me having to force a restart (requiring said update to be downloaded again) because I didn't have the time to let it do an update which would result to me getting to university with a depleted battery.

You do know you can stop Windows Update if you are running Win 10 Pro? Simple. This works for me.
Press Windows key + R, type gpedit.msc, and hit Enter.
Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
Locate the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right pane and double-click it.
Select Enabled and then follow the options:
2 - "notify for download and notify for install"
3 - "Auto download and notify to install"
4 - "Auto download and schedule the install"
5 - "Allow local admin to choose setting"
Select the option that you prefer and click Apply.
Press OK to save changes.
I have selected option 2 and this works for me. WU informs me there are updates available and when it suits me I hit the download button and then the install button. So the updates get done at my leisure. I have just had some sitting there for nearly a week as I did not have the time to do them and did not have any bandwidth either. As the Meerkat says "Simple".

convergent

You do know you can stop Windows Update if you are running Win 10 Pro? Simple. This works for me.
Press Windows key + R, type gpedit.msc, and hit Enter.
Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
Locate the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right pane and double-click it.
Select Enabled and then follow the options:
2 - "notify for download and notify for install"
3 - "Auto download and notify to install"
4 - "Auto download and schedule the install"
5 - "Allow local admin to choose setting"
Select the option that you prefer and click Apply.
Press OK to save changes.
I have selected option 2 and this works for me. WU informs me there are updates available and when it suits me I hit the download button and then the install button. So the updates get done at my leisure. I have just had some sitting there for nearly a week as I did not have the time to do them and did not have any bandwidth either. As the Meerkat says "Simple".

I believe there is a timer on the updates though, so at some point its going to force you to install them. My understanding is that the license agreement with W10 forces you to take updates.