What's new

can't wait to buy surface pro 4

InspectHerGadget

If you want to save money then buy second hand but buying new at the start of the product cycle is the best way to go.

The SP3 will hold its value better than earlier versions as the profile isn't likely to change much although it will get thinner, most likely, and the Broadwell will bring improvements to performance and battery life.

The battery life and performance are already excellent though, unlike the original Pro where the battery life would have been an issue for many users.

I'm finding it excellent. It isn't a tablet replacement though, it is just too big. I still use my iPad at night to browse the internet and watch TV programs.

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

If you want to save money then buy second hand but buying new at the start of the product cycle is the best way to go.

The SP3 will hold its value better than earlier versions as the profile isn't likely to change much although it will get thinner, most likely, and the Broadwell will bring improvements to performance and battery life.

The battery life and performance are already excellent though, unlike the original Pro where the battery life would have been an issue for many users.

I'm finding it excellent. It isn't a tablet replacement though, it is just too big. I still use my iPad at night to browse the internet and watch TV programs.

it's a little bigger than ipad...

raqball

My SP3 replaced a MacBook Pro and a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2..

I don't miss either of them as the SP3 has taken care of everything..

I mainly use the SP3 in tablet mode..

InspectHerGadget

I've had the Surface 2 before I had the SP3 and thought it would replace my iPad but it didn't. It isn't just size it is the way it is optimised for being a tablet and nothing else.

To me the SP3 can be used as a tablet sometimes and that feature is handy but not for general purpose browsing.

It is my work laptop, laptop at home and occasional tablet, usually when space is at a premium which is where the pen comes in handy. I can write notes while holding it as a tablet.

raqball

I always found the iPad to be small. I liked the size of the Note Pro 12.2 so for me the SP3 rocks as a tablet.. I use it as a tablet probably 95% of the time..

InspectHerGadget

Everyone is different but lying in bed or on the sofa, the iPad rules for me and is a perfect size and weight.

I can't imagine either someone standing on a train or bus with a SP2 or SP3, even probably an iPad Air like I have is as big as you would want to go.

We now have every conceivable size and shape of device. I have the 1520 Lumia for carrying around so if I were commuting, it would be my tablet. I had a Nexus 7 but it was too small to replace something like the iPad.

And so it goes on...

I think though as some reviewers have said, that Microsoft have given up the tablet side of things to some extent. There are simply better tablet alternatives and Microsoft have gone bigger in the SP3, not smaller.

I have to laugh though at the thought of a 12 inch iPad which some people think Apple may release. I really can't see that taking off but who knows. You obviously like a big tablet and you're not alone I'm sure.

raqball

I had a Nexus 7 when it 1st came out for about 2 days before deciding it was way to tiny.. Sent it back and got an iPad. It was okay, but I always felt it was still a little on the small size.

Going from my 13" MacBook screen to the 9.7" iPad screen is probably what made it feel small to me. That's one reason why I got the Note Pro 12.2 and I loved the screen size on it.

Now since I use the SP3 as a laptop and a tablet all in one I am much happier.

InspectHerGadget

I still don't really like the way the modern IE works. You can't just flick back quickly through pages unlike on an iPad. Most of the time it is fine on the i7 as it is quick but occasionally it will just stick there. It was worse on the Surface 2. The desktop IE doesn't do this but is a pain to use if you are using it as a tablet.

The iPad is just better for doing basic stuff which is all I do, watch Foxtel, and browse the internet.

I also think an 800g tablet is way too heavy and dimensionally it is awkward. Microsoft made it more suitable for use as a laptop which suits me perfectly. I mean I have used it to watch movies just resting it on my chest and it was OK for that.

The battery life is another issue too. I'm a bit of an insomniac and the iPad gets used for hours at night and I never have to worry about running out of battery even if I forget to charge it. 30% on the iPad is probably four hours of use before it runs out.

I love my SP3 though but laptop replacement. Done. Tablet replacement, maybe, if I didn't have an iPad, but I do.

Len J

There is a rule I follow on buying camera equipment that applies to computer equipment.

Never buy anything unless what you have is limiting you, or what you buy allows you to do something valuable..... that you would actually use.

If you know what your needs & uses are, and the sp3 meets or exceeds them buy it, otherwise wait.

IMO

Len

Tech14

I agree fully. I guess its good that with cell phones I'm kind of forced to wait until my contract is up to get a great deal & that's good for me. Otherwise I'd probably be buying a new phone every 9 months or a year.

In regards to the Ops title, I'd suspect that half us here enjoying or SP3s would say the same thing. I guess what I'm saying is why wait?
Why Wait! Because I don't have money to burn! This is a one time buy for me, and I cant afford to do it twice! that's why wait! Believe me I would love to have the SP3 in my hands right now! But I can't take the chance. Hard to wait. If it gets too long I might cave in, but as of now I just keep reading posts hopping to hear something about the 4. Crap!

kristalsoldier

Everyone is different but lying in bed or on the sofa, the iPad rules for me and is a perfect size and weight.

I can't imagine either someone standing on a train or bus with a SP2 or SP3, even probably an iPad Air like I have is as big as you would want to go.

We now have every conceivable size and shape of device. I have the 1520 Lumia for carrying around so if I were commuting, it would be my tablet. I had a Nexus 7 but it was too small to replace something like the iPad.

And so it goes on...

I think though as some reviewers have said, that Microsoft have given up the tablet side of things to some extent. There are simply better tablet alternatives and Microsoft have gone bigger in the SP3, not smaller.

I have to laugh though at the thought of a 12 inch iPad which some people think Apple may release. I really can't see that taking off but who knows. You obviously like a big tablet and you're not alone I'm sure.

One thing that I think would have helped the SP3's reception as a tablet would have been if MS had included a key-less cover with it as a standard feature, like the Pen. Having that would have reinforced its tablet-ness, if you like, and the optional Type Covers would have been gestures towards its laptop capabilities. I think MS should have focused more on the tablet capabilities of the SP3 since that is a much more difficult case to make as compared to the SP3 functioning as a laptop.