What's new

Is it difficult to apply the screen protector?

qwertyy

I paid like $70 on the screen protector that MS is selling so I really don't want to mess it up. Does anyone have any tips on how to apply it nicely?

jrhillma

I bought the Incipio security/privacy screen protector for my SP2 and it went on super easy. Make sure you have completed cleaned all dust, smears, finger prints or whatever off the screen. Like, super spotless.

When I applied mine I peeled back the film from about 1/3 (starting on the left edge) and made sure I got it aligned right, then slowly laid the protector down as I progressively peeled off more film. I ended up with a few small bubbles, but with the included applicator thing, they came right out. Couldn't be happier.

OP
Q

qwertyy

I bought the Incipio security/privacy screen protector for my SP2 and it went on super easy. Make sure you have completed cleaned all dust, smears, finger prints or whatever off the screen. Like, super spotless.

When I applied mine I peeled back the film from about 1/3 (starting on the left edge) and made sure I got it aligned right, then slowly laid the protector down as I progressively peeled off more film. I ended up with a few small bubbles, but with the included applicator thing, they came right out. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the input. How did you get rid of all the dusts around you? I think the biggest challenge for me would be dusts that are in the air

raqball

I've never had any luck getting screen protectors on. I always end up with bubbles and it drives me bananas until I just end up removing it..

GoodBytes

Screen protector installation varies. Some are easier than others. Some are really easy, other are a serious pain in the ass.

My recommendation is NOT to use screen protector that uses a liquid solution to stick (usually glue, or water but dissolve a powder solution applied on the screen protector, which acts like a glue). Liquid solutions are difficult to remove and usually leaves glue marks on the display. You may change the screen protector if it gets scratch, which is rather easy to do (I mean easy to scratch), as it is a a sheet of plastic. So it it leaves glue, it makes the tasks much harder.

Dust is a big issue in installation of screen protector. They create bubbles which are tricky to remove (as you need to remove the dust, and you can't touch the underside of the screen protector. Different places has different dust level. There is a huge different if you live in a rural area and have central A/C (and I mean the real central A/C, where you have a feed on every room, not that stupid unit on the wall) that features air filtration system. And be downtown, with an apartment that feature no air filtration system of any kind.

If you are in dusty place, what I recommend is to take a long shower, to humidify the bathroom well. The humidity will drop the dust level. Once you are done with the shower, you want to keep the room humid, so close the door and stop the ceiling fan, while you get dressed, and quickly get back to install the screen protector.

Some screen protector like Tech Armor, comes with "dust removal tapes". They are stickers, really, but you use 1 to lift the screen protector from an edge, and another one to remove a dust that is on the screen protector or device screen. Comes with 4, and you can use them to remove a great deal of dust before needing to change tapes. So that is nice. Also comes with a plastic card, which they recommend using with a provided tiny cloth (to not scratch the screen protector) to remove any remaining bubbles.

If you want the fanciest of screen protectors, check out Phantom Glass. This screen protector is like no other. It is actually a sheet of tempered glass. To be exact, it is a Gorilla glass sheet. The same glass that the Surface Pro uses. And it requires no liquid solution to install. Why use that? because all plastic screen protector alter the image of the display, because the reality of things, is that transparent plastic is not really transparent. It has a tint of yellow or more commonly blue, which you can see at angles. In addition, plastic is not perfectly smooth. That is why digital cameras that uses plastic lens are complete garbage, and people should never buy them, as they are waste of your time and money. Luckily those are just the cheapo cameras that no one buys in any case. But, just saying. If you still don't believe me. Notice how all normal screen protectors have a hole for the camera... yet your surface pro has no hole on the glass for the camera. Phantom Glass, also has no hole on the camera. Perfect clear is perfect.

In addition, as it is the same glass as the surface one, you'll get an identical feeling for the pen and multi-touch.

The downside of this screen protector is that it is a bit on the expensive side. But again.. it's freaking Gorilla Glass 3 sheet of glass that you are putting. Oh an no bubbles (assuming no large dust particles). As it is a glass sheet, it doesn't allow bubbles, as glass is not flexible as plastic sheet.

I have it on my Surface Pro 2, and I love it. I highly recommend to look into it.

Tip for installing any screen proctors:
-> Don't scratch your head when installing, you'll drop hair, dust and/or skin particles.
-> Wear clean gloves. This will allow you to not ruin the screen protector if you accidentally touch the sticky side (won't collect finger oil, and dirt which you won't be able to clean)
-> Do the vacuum of your place, before installing it.
-> Be sure that the screen is perfectly clean before installing it.

Last edited:
OP
Q

qwertyy

Screen protector installation varies. Some are easier than others. Some are really easy, other are a serious pain in the ass.

My recommendation is NOT to use screen protector that uses a liquid solution to stick (usually glue, or water but solutes a powder solution applied on the screen protector, which acts like a glue). Liquid solutions are difficult to remove and usually leaves glue marks on the display. You may change the screen protector if it gets scratch, which is rather easy to do, as it is a a sheet of plastic.

Dust a big issue in installation of screen protector. They create bubbles which are tricky to remove (as you need to remove the dust, and you can't touch the underside. Different places has different dust level. There is a huge different if you live in a rural area and have central A/C (and I mean the real central A/C, where you have feed on every room, not that stupid unit on the wall) that features air filtration system. And downtown, with a apartment that feature no air filtration system of any kind.

If you are in dusty place, what I recommend is to take a long shower, to humidify the bathroom well. The humidity will drop the dust level. Once you are done with the shower, you want to keep the room humid, so close the door and stop the ceiling fan, while you get dressed, and quickly get back to install the screen protector.

Some screen protector like Tech Armor, comes with "dust removal tapes". They are stickers, really, but you use 1 to lift the screen protector form an edge, and another one to remove a dust that is on the screen protector of device screen. Comes with 4, and you can use them to remove a great deal of dust before needing to change. So that is nice. Also comes with a plastic card, which they recommend using with a provided tiny cloth (to not scratch the screen protector) to remove any remaining bubbles.

If you want the fanciest of screen protectors, check out Phantom Glass. This screen protector is like no other. It is actually a sheet of tempered glass. To be exact, it is a Gorilla glass sheet, The same glass that the Surface Pro uses. And it requires no liquid solution to install. Why use that? because all plastic screen protector alter the image of the display, because the reality of things, is that transparent plastic is not really transparent. It has a tint of yellow or more commonly blue, which you can see at angles. In addition, plastic is not perfectly smooth. That is why digital cameras that uses plastic lens are complete garbage, and people should never buy them, as they are waste of your time and money. Luckily those are just the cheapo cameras that no one bus in any case. But, just saying.
Still don't believe me. Notice how all normal screen protectors have a hole for the camera... yet your surface pro has no hole on the glass for the camera. Phantom Glass, also has no hole on the camera. Perfect clear is perfect.

In addition, as it is the same glass as the surface one, you'll get an identical feeling for the pen and multi-touch

The downside of this screen protector is that it is a bit on the expensive side. But again.. it's freaking Gorilla Glass 3 sheet of glass that you are putting. Oh an no bubbles (assuming no large dust particles). As it is a glass sheet, it doesn't allow bubbles, as glass is not flexible as plastic sheet.

I have it on my Surface Pro 2, and I love it. I highly recommend to look into it.

-> Don't scratch your head when installing, you'll drop hair, dust and/or skin particles.
-> Wear clean gloves. This will allow you to not ruin the screen protector if you accidentally touch the sticky side (won't collect finger oil, and dirt)
-> Do the vacuum of your place, before installing it

Oh wow this is awesome lol Thanks!

kundas1

-> Wear clean gloves. This will allow you to not ruin the screen protector if you accidentally touch the sticky side (won't collect finger oil, and dirt which you won't be able to clean)
-> Do the vacuum of your place, before installing it.

Wow! That sounds like a lot of work to install a screen protector!... o_O:eek::confused:

GoodBytes

Wow! That sounds like a lot of work to install a screen protector!... o_O:eek::confused:
It's mostly a bit over the top, what I said than needed, but you should get you great success.
For me, it has been working like a charm, and I am in a dusty environment (no air filter system and close to downtown)

Without the precautions it was a mess.

Last edited:

revmike

I've installed many screen protectors without an issue with dusk. I just make sure that the screen is clean and take my time, I do it at my home office desk. It's not brain surgery.

unruledboy

bought two, tried one, spent 20 mins, on and off, annoying bubbles, scratching my head, finally gave up and trashed it rubbish bin

Liam2349

I'm waiting on a tempered glass screen protector from Germany - in my experience so far, these are easily the best kind. Zero loss in sensitivity on my Note 3, even when using the pen.

Unfortunately, delivery is taking the absolute piss :/