What's new

New Firmware - July 8, 2014

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On #1- But the SP3s have limited configurations...and its not like I can add a video card, etc so I can understand why they do it for the rest of the PC world but SP3..I dont

It is Software that is more problematic, Torrent Clients, 3rd Party A/V, 3rd Party Hypervisors, 1000s of Routers/APs, 10s of thousands of Peripherals Combos, 700,000 Win32 Applications with a nearly infinite possibility of combos of what is installed.....

Heck, just in this community we have people running multiple monitors (more than 2) via USB 3.0 and Mini-DP, with multiple USB devices dangling off the one USB Port....

JesseDiaz

It is Software that is more problematic, Torrent Clients, 3rd Party A/V, 3rd Party Hypervisors, 1000s of Routers/APs, 10s of thousands of Peripherals Combos, 700,000 Win32 Applications with a nearly infinite possibility of combos of what is installed.....

Heck, just in this community we have people running multiple monitors (more than 2) via USB 3.0 and Mini-DP, with multiple USB devices dangling off the one USB Port....

Your right

surface_man

I deployed July update manually. Regarding the wifi, just open wifi connection status window and look at connection speed. It is variable. It increases the connection speed on demand. Sometimes it shows speeds way below than the broadband speed, however speedtest.net results indicate that there is no bottleneck between my IPS and my SP3.
SP3 is the best device I have ever seen!

jimp

I've seen some speculation that Microsoft has pulled the update because of issues. I don't think that's true, but if it is, then more power to them. Better to have slower staging, identify an issue, then pull the update than have all however-many SP3s update at once, crash, and burn.
I was beginning to speculate that as well, but I just did a manual check for updates and the 7/8/2014 System Firmware Update is finally being offered to me. I'm installing it now.

jimp

I was beginning to speculate that as well, but I just did a manual check for updates and the 7/8/2014 System Firmware Update is finally being offered to me. I'm installing it now.
My initial testing shows the Wireless-N on battery issue is possibly fixed. It will throttle up and down as needed, but I'm actually not certain it wasn't doing that before. A network transfer I just tested ranged from a starting 11mbps to 65mbps (very congested wireless network, 65mbps is about all my wireless-N can push--used to be 300mbps always). It definitely doesn't appear the update broke anything.

Let's not forget the update promises battery improvements, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out overnight. My battery performance wasn't bad, generally seeing only a 5% drop overnight on Connected Standby. Before the June 19 Firmware the drop was around 30%. I'm going to be impressed if tomorrow morning the drop is less than 5%. I've seen some on these forums claim a 1% drop overnight, which is very impressive.

wynand32

For those who received the firmware update, is it listed as a single update even though it includes all of the various updates Microsoft lists in the changelog? I ask because I finally received a firmware update dated 7/8/2014, and it's just the one...

kristalsoldier

Wow! I just got the update now. While I did not have any WIFI issues, I wonder if I will see a better battery performance (without compromising Connected Standby)

yonghong

I just receive a 900k hardware update, I found it change my wifi drivers to version 15.68.3042.79, it's terrible ,even with AC ,just get 6.5mbps, and lost connect many times.

yonghong

I roll back to old wifi drivers, then the update keep coming. sucks.

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    196.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    196.9 KB · Views: 427