What's new

So Tell Me, What You Think? 3G or No 3G?

Sparky7474

As we already know by looking at the spec, 3g isn't going to be added in the first gen of tablets. Do you think this will hurt Microsoft success, or is it just a feature you can live without? Let me know what you think!

J515OP

Super Moderator
I don't think it hurts. The majority of tablets are not equipped with and not sold with cellular connectivity. Hotspots built into phones or 3G/4G devices such as Mifi make built-in cellular far less of an issue. Chances are if you want to connect you already have a device you can do that through. Free public hotspots are also becoming more widespread. For those unique applications or the small percent that want cellular as a dedicated function of the device they won't effect the success.

Wifi only is cheaper and sales numbers show that is what people are buying given the choice, with at least one recent study showing 9/10 tablets being sold as wifi only Sorry, carriers, 9 out of 10 tablets sold are Wi-Fi — Mobile Technology News.

JobsiteFish

Being in the US I honestly have no interest on having another monthly expense for 3g or 4g, not for a tablet. My tablet gets used heavily on business trips and It's not that hard to find a wifi connection these days. Funny though I am currently in Germany for work and it is the opposite. Only a few hotels offered free wireless internet.

surface

Those who can afford a good tablet usually also has a good smartphone with internet service. I don't see much sense in paying for extra internet. Currently I'm paying over $42 for my home internet service at at 5 mbt unlimited plus another $25 per month for my tmobile internet ( it's suppose to be unlimited but we all know what they mean by that), so why should I add another monthly bill just to see a few sites on a larger screen. It can all get out of hand very easily. That's my take.

ARosch

I primarily use my current tablet in my apartment or in class. I live on a college campus where I am surrounded by wifi so I have no need for 3g. In the event I go out of wifi signal, I have a phone or I can be patient and wait. Nothing in my life is so important that it cannot wait for me to get back into wifi range.

Skywaffle

Super Moderator
I primarily use my current tablet in my apartment or in class. I live on a college campus where I am surrounded by wifi so I have no need for 3g. In the event I go out of wifi signal, I have a phone or I can be patient and wait. Nothing in my life is so important that it cannot wait for me to get back into wifi range.

Agreed. 3g is a convenient feature, but in the days where most phones can do Ad-hoc WIFI tethering, most people won't ever need it

cali

I agree with surface, it can all get out of hand quite quickly. I have a 3G service plan for my SGT. When the contract ends, I will most likely start relying on wifi only.

ResQue

Wireless is everywhere these days, but it would be nice to have 3G on there as well. Sometimes you need to connect to the internet and you are to far away from a network.

It should be possible to plug in a 3G USB Dongle though, maybe they are just trying to save some space, or something to put in the V2.