What's new

Spotting a Surface in the wild...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why not Print to OneNote or Copy to Word and Save to PDF? I find most PDF printers buggy anyway....

oion

Tangent: I use my smartphone for the boarding pass (after web check in, just have my airline text me a URL that I load into a mobile browser, though I take a screenshot to save time*). I'm constantly amazed in my domestic U.S. flying by how FEW people take advantage of this. Everyone has a smartphone, but they still stick with paper print-outs or go to the kiosks/counters. I don't get it. :)

*Anyway, if print-to-PDF isn't working for you in IE11 on Win8.1RT, what about a screenshot?

omega1234

iPads are the standard when it comes to tablets, and they're a great tool. Microsoft is doing a pretty good job of getting the Surface onto TV shows though. Windows Phone and Surfaces seem to be used exclusively on Arrow and The Mindy Project -- I've seen them on other shows as well, just can't think of which ones. I do recall one where the good-guys had iOS and the baddies had Surface's ;-)

Hawaii 5-0 Surface has been used since gen 1.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Tangent: I use my smartphone for the boarding pass (after web check in, just have my airline text me a URL that I load into a mobile browser, though I take a screenshot to save time*). I'm constantly amazed in my domestic U.S. flying by how FEW people take advantage of this. Everyone has a smartphone, but they still stick with paper print-outs or go to the kiosks/counters. I don't get it. :)

*Anyway, if print-to-PDF isn't working for you in IE11 on Win8.1RT, what about a screenshot?
Yeah...well, I would do the same, it's only that I don't have mobile coverage on my phone in the country that I am currently in. It would have been too expensive to opt for the international roaming feature. And, I have found the wifi at airports to be notoriously cagey. If I was back in the UK, I would certainly use the mobile. But then again, I don't often fly within the UK. I either drive or use the trains.

iliketoys

The Surface makes a regular appearance in the Sherlock show Elementary showing it in use pretty often. I've only seen one in the wild but it was nice to see a kid at a Starbucks drawing on his pro surrounded by people with ipads.

CLpwS.jpg

CreativeLemming

I am curious though...why did they opt for the Pro and not the RT? Don't you guys think the Pro is a bit of an overkill for the functions as depicted in the video?
kristalsoldier, I think the answer to this is purely marketing - Microsoft is trying very hard to push their 'intelligent systems' to businesses (Microsoft?s Intelligent Systems), and when this was originally conceived it was much quicker and easier to push a windows embedded image into a pro and hook up with Azure than it is with RT for this type of marketing exercise.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier, I think the answer to this is purely marketing - Microsoft is trying very hard to push their 'intelligent systems' to businesses (Microsoft?s Intelligent Systems), and when this was originally conceived it was much quicker and easier to push a windows embedded image into a pro and hook up with Azure than it is with RT for this type of marketing exercise.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Boomzzilla

Most of the I.T. lecturers at my college have a pro 1, the few that didn't picked one up cheap with academic discount when the pro 2 came out and over here in Australia and they basically halved the price of the old model to $500.
Apart from that only one HR goon at a job interview.

TunaSurface

Where I live multiple electronics stores have all kinds of surfaces on sale.
I've never seen one used by another person live, wonder why.

Search tags for this page

microsoft surface in the wild

Members online

No members online now.