What's new

Surface fails to load after first system update

DarnellSr

What a bummer - drove 50 miles round trip to pick up an i7 Surface Book.
After initial setup, and a windows automatic update the system will not load or reset.

OP
D

DarnellSr

What a bummer - drove 50 miles round trip to pick up an i7 Surface Book.
After initial setup, and a windows automatic update the system will not load or reset.
and to add insult to injury, it is impossible to contact MS support. I have been hung up on after waiting for almost an hour.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it charged? Try holding the Power button for 30 seconds to make sure it's shutdown, then try to power on.

OP
D

DarnellSr

Is it charged? Try holding the Power button for 30 seconds to make sure it's shutdown, then try to power on.
Yes it is charged. It was working fine until it installed new windows updates. Advanced options failed for PC reset and drive recovery. I am doing a cloud recovery now.

OP
D

DarnellSr

Yes it is charged. It was working fine until it installed new windows updates. Advanced options failed for PC reset and drive recovery. I am doing a cloud recovery now.
Ok this is the ultimate POS, it is going back. Recovery failed... all options exhausted

MagicPoop

There's bound to be some hardware issues present and unfortunately, guinea pigs have to test it out after release.
The latest update broke my system but this is for my SP3. Don't know if it cause the same with other devices. Other people area also reporting this faulty update, on the sp3 also tho.

fonzman78

Ok this is the ultimate POS, it is going back. Recovery failed... all options exhausted

Sorry to hear about your issues. I have an i7/256/8 and haven't had any problems. Perhaps give yourself some extra time when you go back to MS Store and see if they can replace it. Then hang around and install updates while at the MS Store. They should be able to get you going. I suspect I'm more patient than most when it comes to new devices. But then, I haven't been tested yet as everything is working great.

leeshor

I think I know what's happening, at least for some of these issues. Some of the updates take time to install and when it's doing some of that install there is no indication that the disk is active. You restart too soon things will go upside down.

Wayne Orwig

I think I know what's happening, at least for some of these issues. Some of the updates take time to install and when it's doing some of that install there is no indication that the disk is active. You restart too soon things will go upside down.

The story that I heard when I was researching the HP Spectre X360, was that Microsoft convinced HP to NOT put a disk activity light on it. If true, by extension, MS I assume did NOT put a disk activity light on the Surface Book, just as there is not one on my Surface Pro. I'm not sure what the goal of that is, but yes, if that disk is working hard writing updates, it may not be obvious.

leeshor

No disk activity lights are any current gen laptops I have worked within the last few months, so I add my own. It's a big help, especially when I'm remoting into someone's system. I run into that a lot and the activity indicator is a blessing.