What's new

Surface PRO Firmware Update...

plasm0

After reading all the issues so far with the update, I've been afraid to install it...

Same here. Haven't updated mine. It's working smoothly as it is.
Is there any major reason to update ? (for those who haven't pulled the trigger yet) ?

ProSurfer

Hi all,

In my case, I don't even get the notice to update. I followed the right steps, but there is no firmware update available, other than a MS Defender update... At about the same time this 3/12 update came up, I allowed an update via the Desktop, not the Metro interface, and I am wondering if this is part of the problem. My Surface Pro works great, but I am baffled as to why the firmware update eluded me (unless it is a targeted update for certain machines based on MFG date?...) Out of curiosity, could someone tell me which driver version you have under Device manager for the firmware section:

Firmware resource (mine is ver. 6.2.9200.16384)
Surface Pro embedded controller firmware (mine is 5.1.50.0)
Surface Pro system aggregator firmware (mine is 1.4.17232.0)
Surface Pro UEFI (mine is 1.1.150.0)

And also under Advanced Tools -->"View advanced system details in System Information" could someone please tell me what it reads for "SMBIOS Version", "Embedded Controller," and "Bios version/Date."
Mine says v. 2.7, v. 5.01, BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1.01.0150, 1/22/2013

Thank you in advance!

Rushino

Before applying the update i went to crashctrl.com to install the network driver update... without success i still had the wifi issue but when i applied the firmwire updates the wifi issue seemed to be fixed... normally i was getting a limited network every 5-10 min but now its working properly. This firmwire update seem to have fixed other stuff aswell such installing bluetooth drivers and resolving other drivers. The pen is also still working without issues.

Here some behavior of the update i have noticed...

BEFORE the update...

Firmware resource
Firmware resource
Firmware resource
Firmware resource

No bluetooth drivers

AFTER the update...

Firmware resource
Surface Pro embedded controller firmware
Surface Pro system aggregator firmware
Surface Pro UEFI

Had 2 bluetooth related drivers...

@ProSurfer you have the same versions as me so it seem you've got the update... it probably installed itself silently. That why you didnt seen it. For my use i had to disable auto updates because i connect often to my phone data plan.

EDIT: Still having the limited connectivity issue.....

Last edited:

plasm0

ARRRGH.

...so I was prompted that Win8 on my Surface Pro had to update on my next restart.
I inadvertently restarted, and the Update process automatically started, which I intended not to do (yet).

...sure enough, just as some of you have reported, after the update, my Pen NO LONGER WORKS.
Now I gotta search thru this thread for a fix. UGH.

Rushino

ARRRGH.

...so I was prompted that Win8 on my Surface Pro had to update on my next restart.
I inadvertently restarted, and the Update process automatically started, which I intended not to do (yet).

...sure enough, just as some of you have reported, after the update, my Pen NO LONGER WORKS.

I believe this is a mess in the drivers during the update. That probably explain why your pen doesn't work. Check your drivers.

ProSurfer

Before applying the update i went to crashctrl.com to install the network driver update... without success i still had the wifi issue but when i applied the firmwire updates the wifi issue seemed to be fixed... normally i was getting a limited network every 5-10 min but now its working properly. This firmwire update seem to have fixed other stuff aswell such installing bluetooth drivers and resolving other drivers. The pen is also still working without issues.

Here some behavior of the update i have noticed...

BEFORE the update...

Firmware resource
Firmware resource
Firmware resource
Firmware resource

No bluetooth drivers

AFTER the update...

Firmware resource
Surface Pro embedded controller firmware
Surface Pro system aggregator firmware
Surface Pro UEFI

Had 2 bluetooth related drivers...

@ProSurfer you have the same versions as me so it seem you've got the update... it probably installed itself silently. That why you didnt seen it. For my use i had to disable auto updates because i connect often to my phone data plan.

Hi Rushino,

I appreciate your feedback on the firmware driver version!
Best!

callen525

ARRRGH.

All you have to do is shutdown your surface pro (not restart it, choose "shutdown"). Then turn it back on. This worked for me. Seems Microsoft should just add a simple shutdown command to their firmware update installer.

riley2323

This Wifi issue is maddening. I am using my iPhone as the litmus test for connecting to a network. I have yet to have a real network problem, based on my iPhone, but I constantly have wifi connection issues with the SP...monkeying around with the SP I am able to somehow get it working, but I really never know what I have done to correct it. Usually some series of reboots and uninstalls of the drivers solves the problem, but I do not have a recipe, that I can follow each time....it is indeed a crap shoot.

Maddening....going to the MS store after work to see if they can get the Wifi working....it will probably be the makes a noise until you take it to the mechanic scenario when I get there.

The real point of my post is the update did nothing to solve the wifi connectivity issues...+502nd person to state the obvious.

Arizona Willie

riley2323: I have no problem with wireless on my Surface Pro. But then I am usually near my own network and router. When out and about at places with wi-fi hot spots I haven't had any real problem either except that many of them are so slowwwww.

I wonder if your phone puts out a good enough signal strength to have your Surface piggybacking on it. Considering the well known " dropped call " problem, I'm not sure I would blame the Surface for not tethering to your phone real well. I wouldn't think a phone would be the ideal wireless connection to try to use.

mervincm

Hi all,

In my case, I don't even get the notice to update. I followed the right steps, but there is no firmware update available, other than a MS Defender update... At about the same time this 3/12 update came up, I allowed an update via the Desktop, not the Metro interface, and I am wondering if this is part of the problem. My Surface Pro works great, but I am baffled as to why the firmware update eluded me (unless it is a targeted update for certain machines based on MFG date?...) Out of curiosity, could someone tell me which driver version you have under Device manager for the firmware section:

Firmware resource (mine is ver. 6.2.9200.16384)
Surface Pro embedded controller firmware (mine is 5.1.50.0)
Surface Pro system aggregator firmware (mine is 1.4.17232.0)
Surface Pro UEFI (mine is 1.1.150.0)

And also under Advanced Tools -->"View advanced system details in System Information" could someone please tell me what it reads for "SMBIOS Version", "Embedded Controller," and "Bios version/Date."
Mine says v. 2.7, v. 5.01, BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1.01.0150, 1/22/2013

Thank you in advance!

I have exactly the same versions and according to my updates log, mt firmware update applied correctly.

riley2323

riley2323: I have no problem with wireless on my Surface Pro. But then I am usually near my own network and router. When out and about at places with wi-fi hot spots I haven't had any real problem either except that many of them are so slowwwww.

I wonder if your phone puts out a good enough signal strength to have your Surface piggybacking on it. Considering the well known " dropped call " problem, I'm not sure I would blame the Surface for not tethering to your phone real well. I wouldn't think a phone would be the ideal wireless connection to try to use.

Sorry....guess my post was a little ambiguous to say the least. I wasn't talking about tethering, I was talking about if my iphone is connected to my network at home and it works, and the surface won't connect then I know it is not my network. Same goes at work too. My iPhone never has issues on the wifi networks I am trying to connect to, but I have had numerous issues connecting SP at home and work.

I went to the MS store, and found what I was looking for from the help counter. The iPhone has the forget network button, and I read that the SP had it too, but I couldn't find it or get it to work for the life of me. The trick is to right click on a network that the SP already has connected to or has in its memory. If you right click on any other network name it does not work. Anytime I have had an issue connecting the iphone to wifi, the forget network button has always solved the problem....my guess is this will cure my ills on the SP too.

So in short....left click on the wifi symbol on desktop, then right click on the network you are having trouble connecting to and hit forget network. Then you should be able to reconnect when the list refreshes.