What's new

Win 8.1 and RT 8.1 Impressions

quadtronix

So now that Windows 8.1 and RT 8.1 are available for download I was wondering what everybody thinks of the new OS? Did you already have the preview version? Are you going to update to 8.1 today? And if you already have it what do you think? I'm downloading mine now! :)

If all goes smoothly with the download I will update with my impressions as soon as I can get a chance to play around with it a bit. I'm upgrading my laptop to 8.1 and Surface to RT 8.1...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Been running 8.1 Enterprise RTM for a while on my Ultrabook, downloading the RT upgrade now....

Overall it is nice improvement, much akin to SP2 in XP, not just fixes but a new OS :).

I've been running the full version about a week (Dreamspark), I've felt it fixes my complains with Windows 8. I wish they'd bring back Aero, but that's another matter.

kristalsoldier

I had held off using the RTM and/ or Preview. Currently downloading on my desktop machine and my RT. Will be back to update when all is done and I have had a chance to play around for a bit.

Series7man

Loaded 8.1 on my Surface RT this morning. I like it so far. There are quite a few changes to the way the OS looks on the Surface and I have not had a chance to go through all the new changes......as I am not sure what all the changes are yet!

I did notice that I immediately picked up about 3GB of space on the C drive by just updating to 8.1. That in itself is good!! I'll play around with it more tomorrow. So far so good.

beman39

so where do we get the win 8.1 download? is it with the windows update or do we goto a website? cuzz I checked win update and nothing.... :mad2:

beman39

ok kool, so I was in the windows store this morning and nada! after which I read your posts and lo and behold it is now there! strange lol like it knew or something haha ok getting it now...yay!

kristalsoldier

Downloaded and installed both the RT 8.1 and the 8.1 for my desktop. It looks good. Feels smoother and, dare I say, a bit faster on the RT (which is what I am most interested in). I tested out the Office suite and it definitely felt faster - maybe just a placebo effect. IE11 (in both cases) feels a bit disorienting but that is probably because I am yet to get used to it. The Mail app is definitely an improvement and I think I will stick it with (at the expense of Outlook - Jeff, you were correct in this regard! Thanks!). I love the Skydrive integration but I have got to test it in active conditions, which will be next week now. Lots more to explore and its going to take me some time, but will be back! So far, so good!

Downloaded and installed both the RT 8.1 and the 8.1 for my desktop. It looks good. Feels smoother and, dare I say, a bit faster on the RT (which is what I am most interested in). I tested out the Office suite and it definitely felt faster - maybe just a placebo effect. IE11 (in both cases) feels a bit disorienting but that is probably because I am yet to get used to it. The Mail app is definitely an improvement and I think I will stick it with (at the expense of Outlook - Jeff, you were correct in this regard! Thanks!). I love the Skydrive integration but I have got to test it in active conditions, which will be next week now. Lots more to explore and its going to take me some time, but will be back! So far, so good!
I've been running my RT on 8.1 RTM with a few tweaks for a couple of weeks. It is definitely faster than 8.0.