What's new

Win 8.1 and RT 8.1 Impressions

demandarin

Anyone near or in VA get the update already? I thought only certain areas rolled out today. I set my downloads to automatic this morning. So I'm hoping I get off work to my surface already having it installed.

Doesn't this update free up some some I eternal space also compared to win8.

ARosch

Anyone near or in VA get the update already? I thought only certain areas rolled out today. I set my downloads to automatic this morning. So I'm hoping I get off work to my surface already having it installed.

Doesn't this update free up some some I eternal space also compared to win8.

I am not sure if the 8.1 update will conduct itself automatically.

I am in TN and have done the update, but I did it manually.

mitchellvii

Swiping back is still a massive lagfest in Metro IE. Have no idea why MS can't seem to master caching a webpage but when i swipe back I sit there for 10 seconds or more while the page refreshes and I'm on a 50 mbps wifi signal.

Inexcusable.

Buelligan

Swiping back is still a massive lagfest in Metro IE. Have no idea why MS can't seem to master caching a webpage but when i swipe back I sit there for 10 seconds or more while the page refreshes and I'm on a 50 mbps wifi signal.

Inexcusable.

When you say "lagfest" what do you mean? I can swipe both ways, forward and back, in IE Metro and the pages load within 1 second or less! So MS did get it right. Seems to be an issue with your machine maybe? I'm sitting here right now on a Surface Pro 128 swiping away and page loads 5 or more swipes either way load almost instantly!

Or are you talking about RT version?

beman39

I believe he is talking about IE11... which even in IE10 I never experienced lag what your describing lol

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

Been playing with RT 8.1 all day... seems faster and I like that you can make the desktop background be the start screen background too. Also more settings and differences in the UI. One I like is that when you tap a link in evernote it auto snaps the page on the side instead of just opening the page full screen. Its useful and if not I can just snap it closed. Still looking for other changes but battery life seems as good as always so far.

My update was not in the store at first this morning but then appeared after a minute or two on the left most pane... left of Spotlight I believe... first pane.

mitchellvii

When you say "lagfest" what do you mean? I can swipe both ways, forward and back, in IE Metro and the pages load within 1 second or less! So MS did get it right. Seems to be an issue with your machine maybe? I'm sitting here right now on a Surface Pro 128 swiping away and page loads 5 or more swipes either way load almost instantly!

Or are you talking about RT version?

Hmm, well there is always the possibility of specific hardware error but this has been an ongoing problem with my Surface Pro. I swipe back to a prior page and the little dots get going and it just sits there sort of grayed out for 10 seconds or more. Also, I'm not experiencing lag anywhere else, just in Metro IE.

Hmmm, just tested a relatively graphics-heavy website Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET and yeah, when I swipe back each page takes 2 to 3 (or more) seconds to refresh with the little dots running across the bottom. I am guessing they are having the server reload the page which really is unnecessary; it should just be cached and load instantly. They should at least give us an option of how we want that to behave - reload or just go to cache.

Also sometimes I swipe back and the prior page momentarily appears grayed out then the page I swiped from reappears and I don't go back to the prior page at all.

** Ok, I turned off all the privacy settings that might have been slowing things down some and it does seem a bit faster. I notice a website like MSN that is optimized for Windows works very quickly, but others do not.

Last edited:

demandarin

I have 8.1 downloading on my pro and RT now ;) download going slow though..smh

Update: I cancelled the download then started it again..it went way faster this time. Its now applying the update on pro. Haven't checked the rt, which I did the same thing to.

kristalsoldier

One thing that I am realizing is that with the 8.1 RT update, I may defer my buying the Surface 2. I may just buy the new Type cover. It's quite snappy (and I can imagine how much more the Surface 2 would be) and for the moment, it serves my purpose. This is becoming a real dilemma!