What's new

Win 8.1 and RT 8.1 Impressions

oion

Easy for you to say... But I have to do the packing when I travel. For example, for my upcoming trip, I am carrying 4 tablets, 3 phones and I wonder what the Customs Officers at my destination are going to think about it. While I have valid reasons, I am not sure they would understand and/ or appreciate it.

If I get the Surface 2, I'll have valid reasons, and then there will be 5 tablets!!! Can't sell or give them away (I think I have posted some of the reasons why so no point going over those reasons again).

I always seem to agonize over these decisions!!!! But this is, in a sense, the ecstasy of agony...!!!!

I would just like to point out to any random passer-by reading this that kristalsoldier is not by any means a normal consumer of electronic devices, and his (or her, sorry) usage is so out of the ordinary that we can sit here and poke some fun.

:)

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

You know you want it

demandarin

Ive noticed a huge increase in battery life. It drains a lot slower now. As far as the UI goes, no other tablet I've owned or used, whether android or Ipad, has been this fast or fluid. Ms has done a magnificent job on the UI.

Also of people haven't done so already, I highly recommend the latest waocom drivers that released. It really has improved pen accuracy and no more random disappearing cursor or cursor shooting to top left corner and being stuck. Even good edge detection.

kristalsoldier

I would just like to point out to any random passer-by reading this that kristalsoldier is not by any means a normal consumer of electronic devices, and his (or her, sorry) usage is so out of the ordinary that we can sit here and poke some fun.

:)

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

Buy it

You know you want it

Yes, of course, I want it! And, sorry, it is not 3 phones, but 4. And, why the confusion between "his" and "her"? I find the last hilarious and, if I may add, entertaining!

kristalsoldier

Ive noticed a huge increase in battery life. It drains a lot slower now. As far as the UI goes, no other tablet I've owned or used, whether android or Ipad, has been this fast or fluid. Ms has done a magnificent job on the UI.

Also of people haven't done so already, I highly recommend the latest waocom drivers that released. It really has improved pen accuracy and no more random disappearing cursor or cursor shooting to top left corner and being stuck. Even good edge detection.

Damn! Why am I seeing this faster rate of battery discharge? I just started a thread on this!!!! Please check it out and comment!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Kristal it looks like you're syncing a ton of data between SkyDrive and your GMAIL, I would give your machine time to catch up, as the 8.1 upgrade is not like the upgrades of old, it is a clean install that hard links your data and settings and re-applies them after the install (i.e. the Windows.old folder). On top if that the system is re-indexing the system and if you're using Outlook as well it indexes that.

I have a 100GB SkyDrive Account and I'm using around 30 of it currently and it took a couple of days to fully sync everything between my two machines.

If you don't notice an improvement in Battery by Tuesday or Wednesday then I would be concerned.

kristalsoldier

Kristal it looks like you're syncing a ton of data between SkyDrive and your GMAIL, I would give your machine time to catch up, as the 8.1 upgrade is not like the upgrades of old, it is a clean install that hard links your data and settings and re-applies them after the install (i.e. the Windows.old folder). On top if that the system is re-indexing the system and if you're using Outlook as well it indexes that.

I have a 100GB SkyDrive Account and I'm using around 30 of it currently and it took a couple of days to fully sync everything between my two machines.

If you don't notice an improvement in Battery by Tuesday or Wednesday then I would be concerned.

Ok. Makes sense - though I only have about 10GB of data on SkyDrive (out of a total of 27GB) and, as mentioned previously, a little more than 4GB of mails on Gmail.

Edit: Not using Outlook. I think the new Mail app is good enough as it is. If I use Outlook on my desktop, then per force, I'd have to also use it on the Surface, which is something that I'd like to avoid for obvious - pst-related - reasons.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft typically uses a system derived from a technology know as BITS (Background Intelligence Transfer Service) and it syncs without impacting the primary services, it tends to be slow and steady, while indexing is a primary service and tends to tax the system a bit more.

kristalsoldier

Microsoft typically uses a system derived from a technology know as BITS (Background Intelligence Transfer Service) and it syncs without impacting the primary services, it tends to be slow and steady, while indexing is a primary service and tends to tax the system a bit more.

I did not know that. Thanks.

demandarin

not to be nosey but did you finally receive both of your new surface devices? if so, how you liking them? especially the pro.

demandarin

Damn! Why am I seeing this faster rate of battery discharge? I just started a thread on this!!!! Please check it out and comment!

I meant on my pro. I haven't messed with the RT to see battery life on 8.1. but the update did install with no issue on the RT and its much faster now. ill check it out once I get the chance.

you are like me, we have too many devices. lol its time to streamline. im trying to sell my nexus 7 and galaxy note 10.1 to use that money towards either the dell venue pro 8, asus t100, or even the dell venue 11 with removable battery. the asus is the best value as it has keyboard included. oh, n ive been very impressed with Surface2 performance as its been reported and seen in videos. I know my pro can do everything it does but it looks so sexy..lol and the battery life is crazy. my pro will be my main at home device and the surface 2 or whatever else can be my travel companion.